Sunday, January 1, 2012

It’s Beginning to Get to Me

I’ve known that I’m leaving. Ever since I applied (I think in April), people have been telling me not to worry (because that’s what I do), I’ll be accepted, no problem. Yet when I got my acceptance letter in mid-October, I was still speechless. Then began the endless paperwork, the onslaught of questions from friends and relatives, other little things like that. It didn’t really hit me that I was actually going—until Christmas morning. I had spent the afternoon on Christmas Eve “wander-packing,” in which I put a box or suitcase in a corner and start to wander around the house, gathering things I think I might need and depositing them around said box or suitcase (I did the same thing before I moved to Knox—the family room/basement was a mess).

As I wandered, I came up with these worries questions:
--“Will my wallet fit in my money belt?”
--“Should I get travel-sized shampoo or just take all the little samples we’ve collected from hotels over the years?”
--“Should I take two of this kind of notebook or just one of this kind? Because this one is college-ruled but I like the covers on these better. Or maybe I’ll just take this bulky sketch book instead. Because I’m definitely going to have time to draw.”
--“I should start packing for Spring Term now, right? Because I’ll only have three days after I get home to get ready to go back to Knox. Yeah, that makes sense.”
--“I haven’t ordered any Euros yet, aaaahhhhh!!!” To which my mom replied, “We’ll take care of it after Christmas.”

This made sense the next morning when I opened an envelope and pulled out several slips of multicolored paper. “Why did you get Monopoly money?” my brother Adam asks. And then it hits me. I have two weeks left to pack. I have two weeks left to say goodbye (reinforced by my family throughout the day: “If we don’t see you again before you leave…”). Two weeks is not a long time. Especially since the longest I’ve ever been away from home (other than Knox, which is my home away from home) is about a week. I’ve flown three times, been out of the Midwest five times, and know enough basic Spanish to struggle through a conversation.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed.

1 comment:

Ellen and Lexie said...

Remember when I said "I'm trying to be happy for you" when you told me you got accepted? I was being selfish. I know you're going to have the time of your life, and I can't wait to see how this experience will change you. I'm so proud of you, best friend! You're going to have a great time. I will absolutely, 100% miss you; especially because you will not be as accessible as a text message. But I know that it will be worth not being able to really talk to you for 10 weeks, because the talking we'll do when you get back will be that much better!